Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mommy Boy

In my house, we do not have any other females. I am the only one. Even our pets are males. (We have Betas and the males are the pretty ones, my terminology not theirs.) We do have Goldfish but if you ask any of our boys they will tell you the Goldfish are males too. So it should come to no surprise to me that my three-year-old does not naturally use female pronouns .(He would have no problems if we spoke Chinese though!) Now come to find out that not only do I have to correct grammar usage but I also have to explain that we are not a gender neutral society. My older two boys went through the stage of defining everyone they knew as a boy or girl but Matthew did not really go through that stage so I am a Mommy boy, aka Mommy to boys (in my head at least). I wear this name with pride since we do have all boys. I love my sons and feel blessed that God has given us so many boys to raise into men. There are times when I need some "girl" time though not just adult time but time around other females. The grossness factor alone can be quite overwhelming. There are just so many ways boys are different than girls and sometimes I wonder, especially since I do not have another female on my side, if I am up to the challenge! Only time will tell...

No comments: